"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, January 8, 2011

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier


I liked this classic. It's been on my 'to read' shelf for years and for one reason or another I kept passing it by but finally after hearing 'Mrs. Danvers' referred to multiple times in other unrelated literary discussions- my curiosity got the best of me and I had to find out just what was so compelling about the good Mrs. Danvers. After reading all about her I'm a little anxious for Mr. Danvers... What happened to that poor man I wonder...? At any rate, I enjoyed the story but this isn't one I'll hang on to for a re-read some time down the line. I am impressed by the raw criminality and laciviousness hinted at in the book. I imagine for 1938 this was pretty racy and raw suspense. I like it. Good stuff.

You will find an official plot line description at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12873.Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment