"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Sunday, January 9, 2011

Roses by Leila Meacham


I love, love historical fiction and World War II era is one of my favorite time periods. I really enjoyed this book. Many reviewers have compared it to The Thorn Birds and while I can see the 'epic' here I wasn't as taken with the characters in The Thorn Birds as I was with those in Roses. There were times while reading this that I had to stop and remind myself to breathe, force my shoulders to relax. This story is lovely, and heart wrenching, and uplifting, and infuriating- all at once, making it worth every page.

You will find an official plot line description at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6505109-roses

No comments:

Post a Comment