"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood


I liked this book. Once I started it only took me a couple days to finish. It was a sci-fi look at an America that suppresses and 'owns' women. It made me think a great deal of Muslim women and the oppression they face. It also made me think of my own lack of conformity. I would have a very hard time bowing down to a society that used me solely as a means to procreation. I probably would have ended up dead in the first sweep of 'anti's'. The only thing I didn't like about this book is that it really leaves you hanging at the end. I wanted to know what happened to the main character and the country. How long did it remain that way? How did it finally stop? I wish there were a Part 2. I guess the world will never know...

You can find an official plot line description at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38447.The_Handmaid_s_Tale

No comments:

Post a Comment