"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Sunday, January 9, 2011

Back Spin by Harlan Coben


I think Harlan Coben should stick with the more serious side of murder mystery and leave the crazy/witty/caper type to authors more along the line of Janet Evanovitch. While I appreciated the effort at wit and candor in this one , and he did manage to evoke a few reluctant chortles from me, I like it better when he's less goofy and more, well, brilliant. Plus- and I should have known this- but a mystery about GOLFERS?! The biggest mystery surrounding golf is why anyone would play it...  I have two more of his 'sports' mysteries already in the 'on deck' circle (notice my clever use of sports lingo?) so I'll finish them but I don't imagine I'll miss them when they're gone.

You can read an official description of the plot line at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/372385.Back_Spin

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...I take great offense at your "why would anyone want to play golf" comment. Golf is an addicting and challenging game.
    However, I did enjoy your "on deck" joke. Your use of sports puns is the main reason you're still ranked number in Round Mountain Baseball Team Manager History.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I was just thinking about my old score keeping days this evening, funny you should mention it :0). I wasn't always a fan of baseball you know... maybe my mind could be changed about golf too... I doubt it, but maybe.

    ReplyDelete