"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Sunday, January 9, 2011

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert


I don't know about this one. The main character is scandalous, of course, which I suppose is the point but she effectively destroys her entire family. Immature and selfish are some of the nicest things I can think about her. I have to wonder about Flaubert's opinion of women. It would seem that it isn't very high... As far as the actual reading of the book goes, I could have done without alot of the 'extras'. There is a great deal of side stories and explanations, conversations amongst the townspeople that start interestingly enough but are never finished. It left me wondering if he was paid by the word...

Find a description of this book at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2175.Madame_Bovary

No comments:

Post a Comment