"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Help by Kathryn Stockett


I loved this book. It had everything: humor, heartbreak, suspense, a good guy/bad guy dichotomy. This would have been an excellent book club choice because you have the racial division and the civil rights movement as the most obvious theme, but there's honesty in marriage, child rearing, domestic violence, duplicity, friendship, feminine 'wolf-packing' of the woman perceived as 'not worthy'. As far as arguable moral and ethical standards- they all made an appearance in this book but it wasn't overwhelming to read all of those things. One sentence that really struck me (and this isn't a direct quote)- 'He needs 'time' and 'space' as if this were physics and not a human relationship'. It's been awhile since I read something that I really loved. I was sorry when I finished this one because it was already over.

You will find an official plot line description at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4667024-the-help

No comments:

Post a Comment