"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea


I liked this book alright but I probably wouldn't really recommend it to anyone. It's sort of like key lime pie for me. I think it's good, I keep eating it, but there's something about it- the aftertaste or the pea green color, that makes me second guess my intial reaction. I think, 'Maybe this isn't that good... In fact maybe I'll just stop eating now.' But then I have to ask someone else to taste it as well, to tell me whether they think it's good or not. At that point my ambivalence will take me either way. If you say it's good, I think so too. If you think it's bad, I think so too. This book is my literary key lime pie. It's good- and bad. It's intriguing- and boring.

You will find an official plot line description at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/91289.The_Hummingbird_s_Daughter

No comments:

Post a Comment