"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb


I read a lot of reviews on this one before I decided to go ahead with it. I have not been a Wally Lamb fan in the past, and so it remains. He's obviously good at what he does, he just wanders along too much for me. After having read multiple reviews that tagged
this book as long and tough to get through due to it's multiple subject matters and plot changes I found myself really looking for the thread that he was using to tie it all together. Oddly, taking in all of those bad reviews helped me to find the thread that I chose to follow and use it to pull me through this lengthy and depressing volume. At the end of it all- the message is a good one and even one that I will most likely remember and hopefully take to heart in my own life- but I hope I don't have to go through any more similar readings in order to achieve similar messages. I'm glad to be through with this one and if it wasn't the book club choice I wouldn't have started it, let alone finished it. I can't say that I'm glad I read it- mostly I'm just glad to be through it.

You will find an official plot line description at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3086160.The_Hour_I_First_Believed

No comments:

Post a Comment