"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, January 8, 2011

The White Queen by Philippa Gregory



As always, I am a loyal fan of Philippa Gregory, enchanted by her writing and her research. She sets the bar for historical fiction. Of the many works I have read from the pen of Philippa Gregory, admittedly, this is my least favorite. There is a great deal of war in this first installment of her new series- and rightfully so because there was a great deal of war in England during this time.Unfortunatey, battle plans do little to hold my attention. What I DID really like about this novel was the element of magic and witchcraft. Witchcraft is such a dark and romantic mystery- almost anything with a 'boil, bubble' element in it will keep me reading. Another very positive victory for The White Queen is it thoroughly sets the stage for the next installment, The Red Queen. The groundwork and relationships are all there and I'm anxious to follow this fictional retelling of the War of the Roses into the next book.

You will find an official plot line description at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5971165-the-white-queen

No comments:

Post a Comment