"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, January 8, 2011

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee


I can't imagine what elementary school teachers think (or maybe the case is thought, now?) that leads them to believe middle school or junior high school aged children will get anything out of this book. I remember thinking it was a pretty good story, and maybe that is all my teacher wanted, but I don't remember 1/4 of what I got out of it this time around. I was really moved by this story. It made me think, it spurred debate at our dinner table, and I have a completely new respect for Harper Lee and the talent and insight she revealed to the world when she wrote her 'little love story', as she so modestly put it. I was in awe of Atticus and the genuine, inherent goodness of his character. Additionally, I may be the last person in the world that figured this out, but please let me have my moment- Atticus' name was not chosen by accident. If you look up the meaning of the name you will find all the wonderful qualities the character possesses- almost to the letter. I highly recommend re-looking at this as an adult. You may be surprised what you come away with.

You will find an official plot line description at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2657.To_Kill_a_Mockingbird

No comments:

Post a Comment