"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, January 8, 2011

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay


This was a pretty good read. I really loved the first half. The author does a fantastic job of weaving in the historical story of Holocaust victim, Sarah, with the present-day story of the main character. The second half was less entrancing for me. I wanted more about Sarah and less about the present day characters. Overall though, it was very well written, and a quick read. I was completely unaware of the police action of the French that sent 80,000 Jewish French to the gas chambers. In all the reading I've done on WWII, this isn't something I remember coming across. I thought the author's ability to depict the horror of that experience from a child's point of view was impressive and touching.

You will find an official plot line description at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/556602.Sarah_s_Key

No comments:

Post a Comment