"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, January 8, 2011

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout


This book was a disconnected conglomeration of partial stories of various people. You never find out what happens to any of them really. She gives you a small picture of each one and it is always depressing. My hope was that eventually they would all tie together in some mind boggling way but it never happened. It was about loneliness. Each of the characters in the book are lonely resulting from various events, death, divorce, unfriendliness, criminal action. The one thing I took away from this book was that each moment I have with someone I should try and imprint it somewhere in my mind because one day those memories of shared moments may be all that is left of the relationships that mean so much to me now.
That lesson is taught to each of us a million times over but so often we forget it. I hope that as my parents age they never have to 'hope' that I'll call them, but they will just know that I will, and that I love them and appreciate them, and that I know they always did the best they could with what they had.

You will find an official plot line description at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1736739.Olive_Kitteridge

No comments:

Post a Comment