"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey


I put this book on my 'to read' list before Oprah picked it up, back when she still thought it was a true story. Finding out that Frey had duped Oprah and that his story was actually a fictional account only served to pique my curiosity further. I think Oprah deserves to be duped occasionally so I actually admire Frey for his ability to do so.
In light of that though, I wish I had read it before I knew it wasn't true. As a true story it would be poignant and heart wrenching, as well as inspiring. As a work of fiction it loses that a little. If it's not a memoir, which we now know it's not, it becomes a pretty boring story.
At the end of it all there is a page that gives one-liner updates on the bigger players in the story- 'so and so went on to do this or that'. I really liked that. Truth or fiction, it was good to know what happened to everybody else.

You will find an official plot line description at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1241.A_Million_Little_Pieces

No comments:

Post a Comment