"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, January 8, 2011

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan


I'm embarrassed to go to bookclub and confess that I wasn't crazy about another one of their books... They're going to wonder why I even go at all. I was excited about this one too, dang it! This is right up my alley, historical fiction, a little love story, a little coming-into -your-own. Ultimately- it's well done.
The facts integrate with the fiction very well. It's not the writing I didn't like, it was really quite good. It was the people, and since they're based on actual people, that's not the author's fault that they were self centered, egocentric jerks. What the author did amazingly well though, is no matter how fiercely you disagreed with Mamah's actions, you couldn't hate her. I couldn't love her and root for her, but I couldn't hate her. I wouldn't really recommend this book, though I'm glad I finished it. I knew nothing about Frank Wright until I read this and that prompted me to do a little actual research and I appreciate that.

You will find an official plot line description at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/898885.Loving_Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment