"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, January 8, 2011

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell


I typically think of myself as a reasonably good citizen. I vote. I've read the Constitution-recently even. I don't mind paying my taxes. I believe in the armed forces and what they do. I've often wished that I had been strong enough to join a branch of the military and serve my country like so many of my friends have. I wasn't strong or brave enough and I think that's regrettable. I support the President, admittedly not the current one as much as I have past Presidents, but I can generally be counted on to either be supportive or be quiet. Considering all of that, I would say I'm a decent American. I did say that right up until I read Lone Survivor.

 A book about a Navy SEAL and an Afghan operation that didn't go as planned, this true account has a heart wrenching effect. I was awestruck by the herculean efforts the SEALS  put forth to become Navy SEALS  to begin with and then struck again by the sacrifice, patriotism, heart, and devotion displayed by each one of the men when faced with horrors unimaginable by a lousy American civilian like myself.

I have always known that each freedom I enjoy today was bought and paid for by another American's blood but I need to be reminded of that occasionally. Marcus Luttrell's story served as that reminder in a breathtaking, heartbreaking, eye-opening kind of way. Luttrell shares his experience, his love for his country, and his devotion to fellow SEALs plainly and honestly. He tells his story like he has lived his life and it hits you right in the heart. I like it here. I like what I have here. I am indebted to Marcus Luttrell, not only for his service to the country he and I share a love for, but also for taking the time to remind me of my good fortune through his amazing account of bravery, sacrifice, loss, and triumph. Thank you to all of the men and women, past and present, who have given their time, their effort, and too often their lives, so that I can sit here today and write what's on my mind, burka free (amongst other things).

You will find an official plot line description at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/711901.Lone_Survivor

2 comments:

  1. Luttrell starts off on a low note, the period which he had the responsibility of notifying the families of his comrades that they had been killed in action. You can tell from the beginning that this is a not just any eyewitness account, but an expression of a seasoned veteran's true feelings of his time spent over seas. Starting in chapter one, he and his team are stationed in Afghanistan with SEAL team 10. He describes each soldier, and he obviously feels extremely respectful towards each one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking the time to post your thoughts about Luttrell's, Lone Survivor. This amazing book has taken its rightful place in my own 'best of' list. Happy reading to you! :0)

    ReplyDelete