"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger


I  read this years ago and didn't like it very much but it was recommended to me again and although I still have a copy on my shelf I decided to listen to it this time around and see it that changed things. I remembered why I didn't like it the first time- there is a lot of needless details that just fill up space and time. 'My hair is heavy; it pulls on my scalp'- that's just one of many phrases that caused me to wonder why I should care about that? Those details drag out the story and make it a cumbersome read but some of that pain was alleviated by listening to it. A man reads Henry and a woman Claire; it makes all the difference. It was still a little too long and little short on plot for its length but the overall message and the love story is a great one. I loved the character Kimmy and I really liked Henry. Claire is redundant and dull in her constantly regurgitated state of 'innocence and perfection'. She's too much; like cotton candy- eventually all that sugary, sweet, cottony perfection just turns your stomach and reminds you of Pepto... That said- I laughed, I cried, I shouted out loud. A worthwhile read... er, uh.. listen.

You will find an official plot line description at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14050.The_Time_Traveler_s_Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment