"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck



I wasn't overly fond of this book. I know culturally Chinese women were sorely undervalued in decades past and I'm intellectually aware that was the norm accepted by all. That being said- I am too American to read something from a Chinese man's point of view without being disgusted and disenchanted by him. I thought the main character was self righteous, selfish, and immature even in his years as a very old man. If this were a movie I would wait for it to be on cable and even then I would only watch it if there wasn't any better options.

You will find an official plot line description at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1078.The_Good_Earth

No comments:

Post a Comment