"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, April 21, 2012

Wench by Dolen Perkeins-Valdez



I had not read much about African women who were forced into the role of mistress for white men so this was a different aspect on the horrors of slavery for me. While I appreciated this new point-of-view and the education on that aspect of history, I thought the plot in the novel left a little to be desired. I am still not certain what the point of the novel was. There were several options and all the tributary plot lines were interesting but I wasn't able to determine a real climax anywhere. I respect the time period and the tale being told. If you're looking for a read that will instigate conversations with a political science and behavioral psychology flavor, this book is a perfect fit. If you're looking for a page-turner, try Stockett's, The Help. 


You will find an official plot line description at: 
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6751356-wench.

No comments:

Post a Comment