"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, April 21, 2012

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness


I love the thought of a world crawling with secret sects of vampires and witches. This book creates a world in which those paranormal citizens exist and Harkness finds wonderful ways to explain popular myths and the ways in which demons, witches, and vampires have made their own impact on the world, and how that impact-good or bad-is explained away to protect the "humans" from knowledge of their existence. I enjoyed the magic and the fantasy in this novel and I'm relieved that it is only the first in a trilogy. The three-star rating is only a result of the romance fostered between Diana and Matthew. It seemed too fast. One minute there is a deep-seated lack of trust and a centuries old prejudice between vampires and witches and the next it's husband, wife, eternity, and our entire races will face war so we can be together. Too much, too fast on that piece. Beyond that a fun read. I'm anxious for the next one. This is another series that I think will improve with time. I anticipate enjoying the second one even more than I enjoyed this one. I already know and love the characters so jumping right back into their adventures should be no problem!


You will find an official plot line description at: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8667848-a-discovery-of-witches.

No comments:

Post a Comment