"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, April 21, 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth


I wish I had the option of electing a 3.5 star rating for this book. It wasn't a solid 4 but it certainly deserves the attention it's getting in the marketplace. Divergent is being compared to Suzanne Collins, Hunger Games, and there are some general similarities, particularly in the cast of characters and the idea of a societal overhaul. What interested me about Divergent is its clear argument for diversity and the benefits diversity in populations brings, within government, within communities, and perhaps most significantly- within individuals. While Hunger Games is a live-wire of suspense and excitement, Divergent works at a slightly slower pace. The benefit in that change of pace is the opportunity to really contemplate the mystery in the story. The lower-level suspense invited me to think more fully about the novel's theme. If I was gripped the entire time by mind-boggling suspense I wouldn't have taken the time to think about the advantages and disadvantages of each of the factions represented in this thought-provoking first novel. I look forward to the second installment and am sorry that I read Divergent before it's follow-up is available. I suspect that the ratings for this series will go up with each installment beyond this. Veronica Roth stands a good chance of skipping the sophomore novel slump and I intend to be right there waiting to see her do it!


You will find an official plot line description at: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8306857-divergent.

No comments:

Post a Comment