"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, April 21, 2012

Watership Down by Richard Adams


I was completely enchanted by this tale! I anticipated going through it to ultimately pass it on to my sister as something my niece might like. I think it might be a bit much for the little one for a few years but I am infinitely impressed by this story. It has been around for decades but this is my first encounter. I tried to explain to some of my bookish friends how taken I was by this story and they studied me with raised eyebrows, "It's about rabbits? You want us to stop everything and read a story about rabbits?" Well, yeah... It's not just about rabbits. It's about survival and love and taking a leap of faith. It's about friendship and sacrifice and believing that you deserve the best. It's about bravery, ingenuity, innovation, and testing your own limits. And, yeah, okay, it's also about rabbits. I loved it. I laughed, I cried, I held my breathe, I cried out. I can't wait until my niece is old enough. 


You will find an official plot line description at: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/76620.Watership_Down.

No comments:

Post a Comment