"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Doc by Mary Doria Russell


Reading this book was like being home, listening to my dad and his friends swap stories :0). Few things evolve slower than cowboys and ranchers... 
There are multiple instances throughout the novel where a couple of men spend time drinking and telling tales. The stories are humorous in their own right but I laughed harder remembering stories told over 100 years later that begin with the exact same arm waving and a loud, "So I told that rotten %^$%&, if you're gonna leave the &*^$# gate open...". You get the idea ;0). 
I fell in love with Doc and his friends, the Earps. Mary Doria Russell does a wonderful job of taking you right into Dodge City. I thank her for the tour and the introductions to such a varied and fascinating group of people. My chest hurt when Doc had a coughing fit. I smiled in triumph with Wyatt when, with brand-new dentures, he learned to say Mississippi and fifty-five. I could feel the burn of bourbon tracing its way down my throat and the dust of Kansas choking my eyes and nose in the summer heat. What a wonderful adventure I enjoyed while I read this book....

You will find an official plot line description at: 
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8911226-doc

No comments:

Post a Comment