"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Monday, November 28, 2011

Moloka'i by Alan Brennert



This is a very hard novel for me to rate. I appreciate the history. I knew absolutely nothing about leper colonies and the struggles faced by the afflicted. I'm grateful that Brennert gave victims of leprosy a voice that could reach so many. That said.... a great deal of this made for a very long and boring read. The plot of the novel jumps from one loss to another leaving the reader very little to look forward to. There isn't a noticeable climax; the story goes on and on-then it's over. I am glad that I know more about this chapter in history but I greeted the last page of this novel with a wide smile =0).


You will find an official plot line description at: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3273.Moloka_i

No comments:

Post a Comment