"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, December 17, 2011

Eragon by Christopher Paolini



Harry Potter meets Lord of the Rings! I re-read this book since the fourth one was just released and I couldn't recall all the details of the previous installments. I'm glad I did! There were a lot of elements that I had forgotten and with knowledge of where things were headed I took more careful notice of details I didn't pick up on as acutely the first time around. The imagination of Christopher Paolini, especially when you consider how young he was when he wrote this, is truly impressive. I love the multi-faceted characters. There are things to love and things to not love about each of them, making them seem more real in spite of the fantasy-fiction story line. It will be very interesting to see what comes from Paolini as he grows, in both years and his writing career. This first book in the series is more clearly written for young people than the others. A little bit like the Harry Potter series, the story 'grows up' with the character and later installments lose some of the blatant YA feel. Great for the kids or for anyone with an appreciation for young adult literature. I recommend this one and the three that follow it.

You will find an official plot line description at: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/113436.Eragon.

No comments:

Post a Comment