"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt


The Goldfinch was a constantly fluctuating experience for me. There was a lot of "downtime" between the parts I found engaging. I liked the characters a great deal, particularly Boris, who I found comical and fascinating. There were just enough twists and points of interest to keep me pushing through this giant tome, constantly hoping that the next chapter would reveal the plot's climax, but to no avail. Ultimately the cost/benefit analysis doesn't weigh in Tartt's favor. I don't mind investing a lot of time in a weighty volume if I find the plot rewarding enough to warrant it. I wouldn't discourage anyone from reading The Goldfinch but it isn't one I would recommend.

















You will find an official plot line description at: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17333223-the-goldfinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment