"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Monday, May 26, 2014

The Bookman's Tale by Charlie Lovett



(If you want to find out more about the below Engagement Reading, please click the Engagement Reading tab above!)

Charlie Lovett does an impressive job of telling three tales simultaneously without it becoming confusing or difficult to follow. Reading The Bookman's Tale was like getting 3-for-1! I enjoyed all three facets of this tale but my favorite was the one that followed the Pandosto pamphlet from owner to owner. Lovett's booksellers of yesteryear came alive and I couldn't get enough of them. It's fascinating to imagine how rare pieces of literature found their way to the special collections of present day libraries. 

Lovett's passion for his craft and for books is clear in his writing and I don't know that I've ever read an author who so skillfully transported me from past to present with every new chapter without losing the momentum of the story. I am awed by his ability to tell three distinctly different parts of a tale and bring them together seamlessly and perfectly in the end. A job very well done! 

You will find an official plot line description at: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16158563-the-bookman-s-tale?from_search=true.

No comments:

Post a Comment