"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Thursday, June 26, 2014

Finding Me by Michelle Knight


This is exactly the kind of book that prompted me to start measuring the level of engagement a book holds for me and not just rely on a star rating. Giving this book four stars indicates that I liked it. I did not like it. It's horrifying and heartbreaking. The life Michelle Knight has endured is so cruel and appalling that it was very difficult for me to remember that her story is a true one. Men, yes, more than one, mistreated her to such an extent that I couldn't even wrap my mind around it. Still can't. So about the four stars... Michelle's tale of survival is so astounding I can't stop thinking about how incredibly strong she is. My book club read this one for our last choice and it was the most depressing book club discussion I have ever been party to but, every single person in our group finished the book. That has never happened before. So I gave it four stars. Because Michelle deserves at least that for telling her tale. For putting herself out there. For reliving the nightmares in the retelling. I don't like the story but I do like her. Knock it out of the park, Michelle. The rest of this life belongs to you. I know a book club in Wyoming who is rooting for your every success and happiness.














You will find an official book description at: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20257122-finding-me.

No comments:

Post a Comment