"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Monday, November 12, 2012

Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell


"And she heard for the first time, without knowing it, the Rebel yell."

I read Gone With the Wind years ago but was so happy to revisit it as a book club choice. I was surprised by how many people struck up a conversation about it as I carried it with me when I travelled. Imagine writing something that still instigates conversations and connections among strangers who have only this book in common? Love it or hate it, you can't deny the impact it's had.

The first time I read this I was in my early 20's. I fell completely in love with every moment. Over 10 years later I was surprised by how my reactions to the characters changed. I had less tolerance for Scarlett and increased respect for Melanie. I was more affected by the soldiers and less swept up in the romance. I still thought Ashley needed a backbone...

Despite those differences, my love for the characters did not change. My favorite characters are those with flaws. I cannot become completely encompassed by perfection but prefer some characteristics I can love and some I can hate. In that, Gone With the Wind is spot on. I hope I find this book in my hand a third time, another 10 years from now.


You will find an official plot line description at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/526493.Gone_with_the_Wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment