"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Why Are You So Sad? by Jason Porter


I really struggled with this book. I think the author was trying to insert some humor into a question most of us face at some point in our lives. We look up from our cubicle and wonder, is this all there is? Is this what I'm here for? Am I supposed to be happy with these circumstances set before me? For me, Porter missed the mark in both humor and meaningful content. 
I didn't find the novel humorous and after forcing myself through the whole thing (thank goodness it's short) I was disappointed anew when I reached the unsatisfactory conclusion. I don't really have any idea what was at the heart of main character, Raymond's, issue nor do I have any idea how it was ultimately resolved. There are a few hints indicating mental illness but then nothing comes of it, leaving me wondering if mid-life crisis is the culprit or something else entirely. Just thinking about it now is confusing! The novel closes with two alternate endings, neither of which brings the scattered elements of the story together. I suppose if I cared enough, I could choose the one to my liking? A flop for me.

You will find an official plot line description at: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18079551-why-are-you-so-sad?from_search=true.

No comments:

Post a Comment