"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Thursday, January 2, 2014

We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee


I still haven't seen the movie based on this book but having read it, I really look forward to watching it. The book was less focused on the family element than I thought it would be. The author spends most of his time introducing the readers to what it was like to buy a zoo and then learn how to run one. To me it's such an outlandish idea-buying a zoo-I found myself being baffled by the choice to do so but rooting for their success all the same. I loved the way Benjamin used his inexperience in being a zoo keeper as an advantage and an opportunity to approach problems in a new way. He didn't know the way things had always been done and so took the time to think things through and come up with creative solutions that were better for all parties involved, most especially the animals. Benjamin does touch on the difficult journey he travelled with his wife up to her death and then his own struggle with grief following her passing. It's touching and heartbreaking but it isn't as much a focus as you think it's going to be going in. He has a wonderful, dry, sarcastic, very British sense of humor that I couldn't get enough of. I cried a little, laughed a lot, and loved this story. I wish this adventurous family every success and happiness. 

You will find an official plot line description at: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18921907-we-bought-a-zoo

No comments:

Post a Comment