"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Monday, May 28, 2012

Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon


It is difficult for me to imagine a passionate love affair with a historian called Frank but imagining one with a Scottish warrior- well, now that wasn't difficult at all... I thought I would be the one swooning each time the dashing James Fraser made an appearance....

From the first couple of lines I was taken in by the wit and banter between Claire and Frank, despite the fact that I found it hard to imagine the passion between the two of them. Once Claire finds herself with the daydream-inducing Jamie, it was nearly impossible to put this book aside, even for sleep or work.

I have fallen completely in love with this story, the characters, and most especially, the humor I found throughout. There weren't a lot of raucous, belly-laugh moments but it was a rare part in the story when I wasn't at least smiling and/or chuckling. The cast of characters Gabaldon introduces are so endearing I started to miss their presence in my day as soon as I finished the book. I listened to this one and I'm so glad I did. Admittedly, there are books that lose some of their effect when they are heard and not read; however, there are others that actually benefit from a spell woven more completely through the voice of a talented storyteller. Outlander falls into the latter category. I was thoroughly enchanted by the story but the narrator brought it to life and made it impossible for me to stop listening. For the first time in a very long time, I found myself casting about for additional household chores to attend to just so I could keep listening. It has been a good long while since I've cheerily gone to scoop dog poop... Thank you, Diana Gabaldon for the clean yard :0).

I am anxiously looking forward to getting back to fiery, witty Claire and her equally clever warrior in the next book in this series, Dragonfly in Amber.

You will find an official plot line description at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10964.Outlander.

No comments:

Post a Comment