"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern


Just the title of this book made it feel magical. The idea of a night circus was so enchanting that I held off reading it, saving it like a dessert or a good bottle of wine.

There are parts of this novel that I thoroughly enjoyed. I loved the descriptions of the circus and the midnight dinners. I loved the characters, varied and multi-faceted, the twins and Bailey easily becoming my favorites.

I struggled with the story line. Even now I struggle with the thought of if there even IS a story line? I couldn't figure out what was going on until just past the halfway point and there are elements that I never found out. Once I thought I had a general idea, through a great deal of guessing and conjecture, I wasn't invested enough to care. I passed the climax of the plot (was there one? a climax or a plot?) with barely any notice as I scanned quickly over it to get back to an 'interesting part'. As the story drew to a close, I just wanted to return to Widget, Poppet, and Bailey. My attention wandered  during this read so I was relieved once finished. My first thought was to give it two stars but remembering the descriptions of the circus and the endearing characters, I think I'll give it three...


You will find an official plot line description at: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9361589-the-night-circus.

No comments:

Post a Comment