"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken


It's been a good long while since I finished a book in two days or less but this young adult science fiction had me hooked. And rather than winding down as I neared the end, it just kept getting better.

I found the beginning a little confusing. Initially it's difficult to work out who can do what and why that is a problem for the ruling powers. It seemed to take an overlong time to get to the heart of that particular mystery but once I did, I couldn't put it down. My affinity for the main character, Ruby, increased as the tale progressed. She initially didn't spark any particular fondness in me but as she moves through the trials presented to her I fell in love with her ever-increasing strength of character. Conversely, her friends Liam, Zu, and Chubs were love at first meeting. They're an easy group to fall for, thriving through use of their diverse strengths and talents against a terrifying group of enemies who seem to be everywhere all the time.

Love and friendship are the ties that bind this motley crew together as they strive to save themselves and the children still trapped in the nightmare they're running from. Before I closed the cover on this one, I already downloaded the follow-up short story and book number two. I'm relieved I don't have to say goodbye to this cast of characters just yet...

You will find an official plot line description at: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10576365-the-darkest-minds?from_search=true.

No comments:

Post a Comment