"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Sunday, December 30, 2012

Eye Contact by Cammie McGovern


This short little book took me AGES to get through. I constantly made excuses to do anything but read it and that is NEVER a good sign. Multiple sideline plots made it difficult to discern what message the author wanted readers to take with them at the close. The most prominent storyline was the murder of a little girl but the mystery is consistently overshadowed by complications in the life of the mother of the autistic witness to the crime. There are complications with her old girlfriend, with her old boyfriend, and with her present day loneliness. The trips down memory lane left me questioning the point of the novel. I am still not sure what the driving message was. The longer I contemplate it the more I think the murder was never the author's main point, but without that, frankly, I'm not sure what the main point is. Decidedly un-gripped by this tale.

You will find an official plot line description at:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/151685.Eye_Contact.

No comments:

Post a Comment