"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Friday, April 22, 2011

Room by Emma Donoghue


Meh. Not for me. I see this book getting really high ratings and I have to wonder if all of those people are psychology majors reading it for the 'fascinating case study that such a circumstance would provide'. I was ANNOYED by the first person tale told by a 5 year old. The story idea was fascinating and I would certainly believe that Emma Donoghue did extensive research on the effects an entrapment like the one portrayed in Room would have on the victims; however, I am now less intelligent for having spent actual time reading lines like, "In the morning, penis stands up. I push it down. Silly penis." I would have gotten more out of this novel, and had more respect for the writer and the story itself, if it had been told from an adult's point of view.


You will find an official description of the plot line at: 
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7937843-room

No comments:

Post a Comment