"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, April 2, 2011

Dracula by Bram Stoker


I was surprised at how this book captured my interest. Admitting that I had never read this classic was becoming embarrassing, so with trepidation I finally picked it up and was relieved to find it mostly captivating. The writing style, which I believe to be typical for the time in which Dracula was written, made parts of the book a struggle. The characters are incredibly verbose and emotional creating a redundancy that made it difficult to stay attentive. Ultimately the novel is saved by the unexpectedly frightening horror story. Published in the late 1800's, I can't fathom the shock-and-awe Dracula likely inspired within the literary community at that time.


You will find an official plot line description at: 
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/452304.Dracula

No comments:

Post a Comment