"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Sunday, August 24, 2014

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler


Some years ago I read The Paris Wife, a novel focused on one of Ernest Hemingway's wives, Hadley. Knowing that the lives of the Hemingways and the Fitzgeralds were tightly interwoven I was anxious to look at their story from another perspective. I have always admired sassy Zelda Fitzgerald and liked the idea of a novel focused on her. I wasn't disappointed!

Zelda Fitzgerald is a woman I found easy to admire and I was happy to root for her throughout the tale. I was often frustrated on her behalf as she struggled against constraints born of the time she lived in. I wonder what course her life would have taken had she been born a few decades later...?

I loved the alternate perspective on Hemingway and was not surprised that Zelda didn't share her husband's fondness for Ernest. I found much to admire in Zelda Fitzgerald and only wish she had enjoyed the freedom to more thoroughly explore and develop her many talents and attributes.




You will find an official plot line description at: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15994634-z.

No comments:

Post a Comment