"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, May 7, 2011

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens



Holy cow! What an incredible novel! I had to continually remind myself that the book I have been white-knuckling for two days was NOT a true story but an amazingly raw and realistic work of fiction. I've never read anything like this before. The writing style was completely new to me. What a talent Chevy Stevens is to tell a story from what appears to be the ending first and still keep you glued to every word through the last punctuation mark. 
No cheating when you're reading this one! I promise you-you will heartily regret taking an early peek at the last page. Let Stevens wow you in her time. I guarantee that you will not be disappointed. There were a few parts of Still Missing that were very difficult to read because of the raw brutality but if you're looking for suspense-here it is. 
One reviewer said that some of the psychological results of main character, Annie's, experience were 'so typical that they were almost trite, but...blah, blah, blah'. How the hell did she notice something like that? I was so busy being in awe and trying to catch my breath I didn't have time to cast about for triteness (I guess triteness is a word since autocorrect is leaving it alone...). I have short listed this to one of the books I will recommend. For me, Still Missing keeps company with books like The Hunger Games, The Help, The Gargoyle and My Sister's Keeper. And that's saying something.


You will find an official description of the plot line at: 
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7159515-still-missing

No comments:

Post a Comment