"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Son of the Circus by John Irving


I'm breaking up with John Irving-effective immediately. I've tried. Since the movie adaptation of Cider House Rules, which incidentally, I loved, I've tried. I struggled through A Prayer for Owen Meany and 158 Pound Marriage and nearly half of A Son of the Circus and I just can't do it anymore. I don't know what the point of the story is and I can't even stay interested long enough to figure out who the people are and what part each of them plays in this maniacal collection of nonsense and pointlessness. I read an interview Irving did about this book and he thanks his wife for reading every draft of this novel. God bless her heart-how did she manage it? I hope he did more than thank her. She deserves diamonds for that one. 


Find an official description of the plot line at: 
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40031.A_Son_of_the_Circus

No comments:

Post a Comment