"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx



Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld


The Interpretation of Murder was a very mediocre experience for me. I neither loved it or hated it. The mystery was compelling and the exchanges between Freud, Jung, and the others were also compelling but I found that sometimes the combination of those two elements in the same small space this novel created made one distracting to the other. Just when I started to get in a philosophical rhythm and really contemplate the ideas of Freud, the story swung back to the mystery. Just when I started to inch toward the edge of my seat in the mystery, I found myself back with Freud and friends. 

Despite that, I did love each part of the book separately. I loved getting to know Freud and Jung that way. Imagining what it might be like to talk with them over dinner and contemplating the conversations that may have taken place was fascinating and intriguing. The murder mystery was suspenseful and exciting. There were some laugh-out-loud moments and I fell in love with the star detective. At the end of it all my disappointment came from not getting enough of either piece because the combination of both meant giving up more of each individual part.


You will find an official description of the plot line at: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/820394.The_interpretation_of_murder

No comments:

Post a Comment